Last week, after months of planning and preparation, I finally put our wedding invitations in the mail. Well, I handed them to a guy at the post office, because I was too nervous to drop them in the ominous blue mailbox. A LOT of hard work went into getting these invitations together and out the door, so I thought I’d show you guys just how much.
Already having Aaron’s awesome Save the Date coasters, I decided to try my hand at designing the invitations using that base. I love typography design, so it was a lot of fun coming up with the concept. Once I figured out what I wanted, I let Aaron finesse it into perfection. Then, it was on to production. We had custom ‘letterpress’ stamps made, and my amazing friend Jeannette cut and pressed all the invitations and RSVP cards for us, from just 2 plates!
I chose to do my RSVP cards as postcards so that I could decorate the back of them. While we were in the process of getting the plates made, Jeannette and I carved custom stamps that I would use later on. I also designed and ordered a few stamps from RubberStamps.net, which I would highly recommend for any future stamp-making needs.
Once the invitations were in hand, the hard part came along: decorating. I started with the envelope liners. Cutting the liners was fussy. I tried using a precision knife tool, but could only cut a couple at a time. I ended up cutting them by hand, but with more than five they started to get a little weird. Originally, I’d wanted to do a couple different types of envelope liners, but the stars worked out best in practice. A day later, I had 60 envelope liners ready to go.
Finally, the most difficult task was at hand. I had to come up with at least 3 postcard designs (because let’s face it, doing 60 of the same would’ve been BORing) and then make them all happen, with my oddly crafted homemade stamps. I affixed my largest tree to Aaron’s french press and got to stamping. I came up with three tree lines and figured I’d come up with the skies afterwards. Trees took a full day and a half. I was so happy when I finished.
Last but not least, I filled in the skies. This ended up being the most fun part, of course. I first stamped all the additional stars and planets, then added in the specially embossed custom stamps to finish it off. For the planets (props to those of you who get the reference) I also used watercolor paint to give that lovely gradient look. All-in-all, I was pretty ecstatic about how they turned out. Hope you enjoy them too!
DISCLAIMER: Uninvited guests WILL NOT be fed, so please only show up as invited. ;)